By John J. Collins
A landmark examine of Hellenistic Judaism by means of one of many world's well-known experts-now absolutely revised and up-to-date. probably the most artistic and consequential collisions in Western tradition concerned the stumble upon of Judaism with Hellenism. In his extensively acclaimed learn of the highbrow and ethical dating among "Athens and Jerusalem", John J. Collins examines the literature of Hellenistic Judaism, treating not just the introductory questions of date, authorship, and provenance, but additionally the bigger query of Jewish id within the Greco-Roman global. First released in 1984, among ATHENS AND JERUSALEM is now totally revised and up-to-date take into consideration the easiest of contemporary scholarship.
Read or Download Between Athens and Jerusalem: Jewish Identity in the Hellenistic Diaspora (The Biblical Resource Series) PDF
Similar judaism books
This concise quantity presents a lucid advent to the genesis and improvement of Rabbinic Judaism. Jacob Neusner outlines and examines the 4 levels within which the preliminary interval of the historic improvement of Rabbinic Judaism divides, starting with the Pentateuch and finishing with its definitive and normative assertion within the Talmud of Babylonia.
Why usually are not Jewish ladies circumcised? This inconceivable query, first complicated through anti-Jewish Christian polemicists, is the purpose of departure for this wide-ranging exploration of gender and Jewishness in Jewish notion. With a full of life command of a variety of Jewish sources--from the Bible and the Talmud to the felony and philosophical writings of the center a while to Enlightenment thinkers and glossy scholars--Shaye J.
Exclusive poet and translator David R. Slavitt the following presents a translation of and meditation upon the ebook of Lamentations, the biblical account of the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem in 587 B. C. ,on the 9th day of the Jewish month of Av―Tish'a b'Av. (Six centuries later the Romans destroyed the second one Temple at the similar day.
"Goldy's e-book isn't the same as the other e-book on Jewish theology. He has provided a favored, pithy and intensely informative quantity for the student in addition to for the common clever reader. .. " ―Jewish publish and Opinion". .. very good primer on Jewish theology. .. " ―Heritage Southwest Jewish Press".
- Jews, Judaism, And the Reformation in Sixteenth-century Germany (Studies in Central European Histories)
- Time and Eternity in Jewish Mysticism: That Which Is Before and That Which Is After
- Josiah's Reform and the Dynamics of Defilement: Israelite Rites of Violence and the Making of a Biblical Text
- Hasidism and Modern Man
- Jewish Choices: American Jewish Denominationalism
- Constantine's Sword: The Church and the Jews, A History
Additional info for Between Athens and Jerusalem: Jewish Identity in the Hellenistic Diaspora (The Biblical Resource Series)
182. 69. Another example is Dositheus, son of Drimylus. whose apostasy is recorded in 3 Mace. 1:3 and who is also known from the papyri (CPJ 1:230-36). W. 47). On the phenomenon of apostasy, see further H. A. : Harvard University Press, 1948) 1:73-78. 70. Cf. G. E. " 71. " But Gruen fails to notice the selectivity practiced by these writers, both with respect to their own tradition and with respect to Hellenistic culture. 72. "If more and more people can be persuaded that a system of belief is correct, then clearly it must after all be correct" (L.
Ag. Ap. 65. 112. E. Qiniron and J. Strugnell, Qumran Cave 4. V. Miqsat Ma'ase ha-Torah (DJD 10; Oxford: Clarendon, 1994). 26 INTRODUCTION 3. E. and in the events leading up to the Diaspora revolt. Part Two has four chapters: 4. , rejection of idolatry and homosexuality) while playing down the more problematic rituals and observances. While we do not find strict consistency in the various Jewish documents, there is a nearly universal trend in this direction, and we will find few exceptions. 5. Philosophical Judaism: The main representative of philosophical Judaism was Philo of Alexandria.
See especially J. L. : Harvard University Press, 1997). Also Gruen, Heritage and Hellenism. 110-36. 92. Philo, De Migratione Abrahami 89-93. " However, it does not follow that Philo would never "blame" the literalists, but only that he did not in this particular case. INTRODUCTION 21 as apostates, even though Philo "blames" them. They are still said to be "over-punctilious" in their own approach. The diversity of interpretation was not always due to Hellenistic philosophy, but was prompted by several factors.
Between Athens and Jerusalem: Jewish Identity in the Hellenistic Diaspora (The Biblical Resource Series) by John J. Collins